relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, January 30, 2012

It's Not About Me...or You


Yes...great title and really a great book by Max Lucado, but this is not about my faith.  This is all about what my teams are capable of doing and getting it done on the court.  One of my most said phrases as a coach is "reward yourself".  Our players put in lots of time and effort and I believe they should "reward themselves" during the games. 

When I first started coaching, I coached for me.  It took me probably ten years to go 50/50 on what or who I was coaching for.  Now...it is for the boys to be successful.  That is why I get so frustrated and animated during games.  I could care less for me to get any credit, it is about the players seeing something from the time and effort they put on during the summer and practice.

Really, it isn't even about this current team or any given current team.  The program was here before them, it is here now while they are here, and it will be here as long as there is an HHS.  The players owe it to those who came before them to compete and play hard, and they owe it to the future players to show what is expected of a basketball player at this school.

Why do you play?  Why do you coach?  What is your purpose?  Mine has been, in the last few years, to improve our guys as people and hopefully enjoy some success on the court.  Hopefully, they have worked and experienced some of that success.