relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, May 18, 2015

Thank God I'm an Older Father



I do thank God that I did not have children until I was older. Sure, I don't have the energy to get out in the yard to play with them as much as I'd like to and I will be the old dad at graduation, but it is a blessing to be older. Especially for me.

I am more self-aware of what I am doing wrong when it comes to all aspects of raising them, but especially in sports. I get too much satisfaction and too depressed if they are not doing as well as I believe they should be; and I am aware of that. Twenty years ago, I would not have been.

I am as nutty as any parent, but I am hoping that being aware that is a huge step in the correct direction. I want my kids to play sports because they want to, not me. I want them to have fun by competing and trying to the best of their abilities.

I need to back off even if it is just being silent. Negativity by me only compounds how they are feeling when they don't play up to what they want to because they are like their parents, hard enough on themselves.