relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Hamtramck, Michigan


The summer of 2023 was an up and a down.

I wasn't able to go to Azerbaijan because of visa issues which were all of my own making.

But I did go to Michigan for a week and help out Sports Reach's Zac Arrington in Hamtramck which is just outside of Detroit.

Hamtramck is the first majority Muslim city in the USA with a Muslim city council and Muslim Mayor.

Hamtramck was first full of Polish immigrants, but it has changed drastically with Yemani and other Arab groups moving in.

I got off the interstate after driving through Detroit, but when I drove through Hamtramck most of the businesses were in English with Arabic underneath in parentheses.

Lots of women were wearing burkas, the full length hijab which I had seen before even in the USA, but not this many.

The kids were a little rambunctious, didn't really want to be there at times, the basketball court was outside and we had no cover from the heat, but I enjoyed it.

Kids are kids and you have to understand that, and I do, maybe I am just becoming the bitter old man as I age.

I don't know if I will go back, but it wouldn't be bad if I did.