relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

I Got a Flyer in the Mail Today

I got a flyer in the mail today. 

It was from a local public school trying to recruit my two student-athletes to their corporation.

I got one the other day, too, and the month before that also.

Two were from public schools/corporations, one was from a private school.

These schools were trying to recruit my student-athletes.

By the way, I live right next to my kids schools. I mean, you walk around a fence and I am on Silver Creek school property.

Yet, I got flyers in the mail about attending other schools.

I didn't have to move, the flyers read.

There would be a bus to pick them up, the flyers read.

They had great academics, the flyers read. 

Oh...and their athletics teams/facilities were top notch, the flyers read.

Yet, my kids who live next to their school (literally) are getting flyers in the mail to attend other schools and I see the shiny pictures of their great facilities on the flyers. Heck, some nights I can even drive by a couple of schools with their lights on showcasing their athletic facilities.  

You could almost argue that my kids are being recruited for sports because they're both pretty good athletes, or maybe not. Maybe it's Indiana is a school choice state and all schools are trying to get students from all over the area to attend their school/s.

I realize that everyone in my neighborhood got the flyers, many without children, but still....

You can't have it both ways.

You can't.

You cannot have rosters filled with student-athletes that do not live in your school district and complain that others do the same...or I guess you can. It's a free country.

I had a coach here say a great line and it is so true from what I know, what I've seen, and what I've seen done..."a lot of dirty hands around here throwing dirt on our name."