relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Good Day With My New Mates


Last week, I got a text message from a friend, Shane Howard.

Shane runs Custom College Recruiting, a business that is helping boys and girls from many places around the world to come to the USA to play sports.

But Shane called and said that an Australian team was in Indianapolis and needed some help with a gym. I couldn't find one, but the next day I got another message from Shane. The team needed help with the book or clock.

I was free for a day, so I headed to Fishers and hung out with the my new friends from New South Wales.

The coaches and I clicked almost immediately.

Nathan Kirwan, the sort of Director of Ops was who I talked to first and who I spoke to first when we met up.

The head coach is Shannon Seebohm.

Seebohm was the U17 women's coach for Australia that handed the US their first loss ever at that age. Australia went on to win the FIBA championship, so Coach Seebohm is a world champion coach.

READ MORE ABOUT COACH SEEBOHM BY CLICKING HERE

Watching their team play and hanging with them and talking basketball was unbelievably refreshing.

They get it.

They get what basketball should be about.

Fundamentals.

Discipline.

Great shots.

Not dribbling too much.

In actuality, they get what USA basketball is supposed to be about more than many American coaches, especially AAU coaches get what it's supposed to be about.

It was a pure joy and also kind of depressing.

The USA is the greatest basketball power on the earth, but because we too often lose our way, many foreign countries have perfected our old blueprint and are using it to beat us.

Which is hard for this Yank to take.