relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, January 16, 2017

What Could I Have Done?



As a teacher, I am around lots of people each year, most of them much younger than myself.

I hope as I teach that I am doing more than just conveying history or Government or Sociology, I hope I am conveying some of my principles and morals.

I try not to be pushy, but I want the students to know that there are rights and wrongs and that I am here for them.

But you spend only so much time with them each week.

Your players, however, are a different story.

You are around them a lot more and more closely sharing your life and values.

When either group fails in life from divorce to drug addiction, I care many times too much.

But former students I can handle better than former players.

What could I have done differently?

What could I have done so when they got out into the real world, they didn't become part of the problem instead of part of the solution?

I realize that at some point they have to accept responsibility for themselves, but what could I have done?

What could I have done?

(Prayers for a former play who is battling his demons with drugs and today had a real bad episode)