relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Monday, March 19, 2012

Moving on...?

I don't know why, but I have been asked to write a weekly column for the News and Tribune, a local paper here in southern Indiana.  Why would anyone want to read what I have to say?  I have asked that over and over and have found that some people have reached out when I have written on my blog.  My blog was started by me a few years ago so that I could vent some frustration and really to share my life publicly for me.  I know that sounds like a contradiction, but I never thought in a million years that anyone would read it, maybe coming across it on stumbleupon.com, but not how it has grown.

I have never found any pressure to write on my blog, I write when I feel like it.  Now, there may be a little more pressure, but as a guest columnist, I just might not make it every week.  I have thought a lot this weekend about what to write about for this week, but try as I have, I keep coming back to the events of March 2.

I thought about writing about Why Providence is Successful!  And I had this great idea about going into great detail how they are fundamental and they rarely make mistakes on offense or defense.  I was going to go in detail about every single thing they do that many teams don't do correctly and Providence does it at a high level, and no Coach Lefevere, a trained monkey couldn't get them to do it. So many coaches compliment you and your team because, I think, we are a little envious, but we wouldn't admit it.

I thought about writing about the Final Four (I am an IU fan) and how this IU team over achieved and is now in the Sweet 16 and how the NCAA set up this rematch between IU and UK (I picked UK to win it all).  I thought about writing how the NCAA tournament is the greatest sports spectacle in this country because it lasts for so long, almost everyone in this country has to know at least something is going on with basketball.

But it keeps coming back to March 2.  Everytime I do something like attend the Sweet 16 for Kentucky high schools, or attend the Tennessee boys' state finals, or the Big Ten tourney, or the Indiana State Finals, I feel that it is unfair to the victims in my hometown.  It is a cruel reality in death and tragedy that the rest of the world goes on.  While you mourn, others go about their lives as if nothing is any different (and it usually isn't for them).

But I also believe that no matter the circumstances one of the best things you can do to honor those who may have died or those who have been devastated is to continue your life; but never forget.  You continue to do those things you always did, but help when possible.  You continue to do those things you always did, and tell as many people what they can do to help.  You continue to do those things you always did, and you tell the stories of true heroism to anyone who will listen.  And yes, you continue to do the things you always did because you enjoy them and life should go on.

If you want to send money to help, send a check to the New Washington State Bank, P.O. Box 243, Henryville, IN 47126.  Make it out to "HHS tornado fund" and you can tag the amount to wherever you want the money to go to; Henryville boys' basketball, girls' basketball, baseball, softball, high school cheerleaders, jr. high cheerleaders, high school, elementary, etc.