relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I Would Coach for Free...Most Days

I teach in a corporation with 3 high schools and 3 middle schools, and 3 elementary schools.  In my building at the high school level, I have been grateful to my administration as they allow me to pick my coaches with them providing guidance.  They have never told me to forget someone or hired someone over me.

Our elementary programs, however, are disconnected from all three high school coaches.  Most school's principals allow their varsity coaches to have a lot of control but....  My belief is that there needs to be some coherent, consistent elementary program.  There needs to be by laws on who decides on who coaches or doesn't coach anymore, when the season begins, how many games can be played, who runs the program, how many camps are to be run, how you have tryouts/cuts, and just about any other detail that can be thought out.

Running elementary and really entire programs is not about fund raising, even though there is money to be made off it.  It is about having a consistent program with the person at the top who will be held accountable for wins and losses having much of the control.  Or if that isn't what is decided we at least need an understood, consistent, corporation led policy clearing up all confusion.  The kids deserve that.