relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Support Base

In the coaching world, you need to have a support base.  You need someone who will be there when you win, but more importantly when you are losing.  You need someone who is going to be there when you are the unofficial mayor of the town, but more importantly when you can't find a friend anywhere.

With me, it is my wife, mom and dad, and kids.  I have plenty of friends in the school, in the community, and surrounding the team that support me, but I don't go home with them.  That doesn't make me appreciate them any less.  Other coaches in the building as well as other teachers at HHS are hugely supportive and I am glad that they are there.  My parents, I know, have my back.  They will support me no matter what happens.  My mom may even be a little more aggressive in her support.

But my kids are always welcoming me after a game with hugs and kisses...and honesty.  Last year, my daughter said towards the middle of a tough season "dad, your team always loses, but I love you".  I said "uh, thanks, I think" and had a little laugh about it.  My daughter could care less if we win or not, she just wants to cheer at the games, and the cheer sponsor has been great in allowing her to be with them during games.  My son could also care less if we win or not.  After games, he just wants a basketball to dribble and shoot with.

My wife, however, is the best.  She is the one who keeps my book, listens to me vent, supports and reassures, and also brings me down to Earth.  She is the one who listens to my doubts, my conerns, and my frustrations.  She does all of this by reminding me why I coach and putting things in proper perspective.  She might be the best coaches wife that there is, though many would debate that comment.  But she does not complain when I have to scout, when I want to go to camps to work or attend basketball clinics.  She does not complain when I am refereeing elementary games, and I ask her to work the "gate".  She does not complain when after a game, win or lose, that we go out to either sulk or celebrate.  She played and she has an understanding of what it takes to be successful, she understand how you are supposed to do things when it comes to basketball. 

I will debate anyone that she is the best my wife Kristi.  And as she approaches her 32nd birthday on Monday, July 25, I hope she knows how much I appreciate her.  I appreciate that she is supportive, but also has to endure many of the same things that I do on the negative side, the only difference is that I can control some of it...she can't.