relationships

relationships
31 years coaching experience/Worked Camps/Clinics on 6 Continents

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Discipline


Discipline was defined by Bob Knight as "doing what you are supposed to do when you are supposed to do it." And I added "even when you don't want to".

To me that means it can be for many different things. It can be as simple as remembering to set your alarm for the morning, then when the alarm goes off, you get up. No snooze, you get up. If you want to sleep later, set the alarm for later. It can be as simple as being on time, all the time. Usually the reason why I am late to anything is because I was not disciplined enough to set an alarm, get ready, or get moving.

If I didn't have some form of discipline, I could not get all of the things accomplished during the day that I need to during a school year. Discipline is getting those things done, discipline is staying on your practice plan with even "fun" time scheduled into it. Discipline is also understanding when something isn't working and changing it even if it is in the middle of a practice or game.

Discipline is helping with the kids when you don't want to. Discipline is helping out around the house, when you don't want to. Discipline is helping your parents, helping a co-worker, picking up trash in the hallway, helping students even though it is time to go home. Discipline is helping and doing even when it is the last thing you possibly want to do.

Now, if you help and do something good, but only because you are supposed to do it does it make you a bad person? My belief is no, in fact, it may make you an even better person because you do it despite what your selfish wants or maybe even needs are at that moment.

The most undisciplined thing I probably have is my closet. My entire life is decently structured (not so regimented that I am no fun) especially during the school year, but if you were to look in my closet..... About once every 3 months, I have to pick up what I have thrown in there, hang clothes, and get it organized. It would be more disciplined to keep it up consistently, but I just cannot make myself do it.

Finally, discipline is what our military personnel need to have to do the things that they do. Pictured above is 2004 HHS alum Brad Guernsey when he was using discipline to guard someone in a basketball game. Today, he has used discipline in Iraq and currently in Afghanistan (in picture on right, he is second from the right). Without discipline, he wouldn't have been as successful in high school athletics, and now that discipline is keeping him safe.

Discipline sometimes comes off as a negative word and the reason it is, I believe, is because it requires us to come out of our comfort zones. It requires us to do more than what feels good, it requires us to be better. It doesn't ask, it doesn't suggest...it requires.